[OM] Re: Pinhole photography with OM [Was: I like the Zuiko 4.0/200mm]

Subject: [OM] Re: Pinhole photography with OM [Was: I like the Zuiko 4.0/200mm]
From: Marko Vrabec <marko.vrabec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 18:37:14 +0200
Hank "Transvestite Norma" Hogan wrote:

> Does anyone have recommendations for making a pinhole that can be
> used on an OM camera or any examples of pinhole photos done with
> an Olympus Camera?
> I am thinking of making a pinhole attachment that I can use with
> my Olympus extension tubes, etc.

The last three pages of "Olympus Photoschule" book by Richard Huenecke
are devoted to pinhole photography with OM cameras. The author's recipe
is to use a T-mount adapter, to which a circular piece of cardboard or
strong black paper with a hole in the middle is glued (other listmembers
already suggested several good links with detailed instructions on how
to make a proper pinhole).

With this arrangement, a pinhole with 0.35mm diameter gives you an
equivalent of 55mm focal length. Another interesting suggestion from the
same author is to make a 0.5mm pinhole and then mount the T-adapter to
the 65-116 Auto-Macro tube. This way you can have a pinhole zoom!

The author apparently used OTF metering with this setup; his observation
was that OTF exposure is about two stops under, so he compensated
accordingly (+2). With long exposures expected (effective aperture
equivalents of pinholes start somewhere at 170!), an OM4(T) seems to be
an ideal camera for the task.

br,

Marko Vrabec
Kamnik, Slovenia