[OM] Depth of field

Subject: [OM] Depth of field
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 23:43:00 EDT
I just some posts on depth of field and had some (actually one) of my own
questions. Say you are standing in a middle of a set of train tracks, with
the locomotive headed toward you. You want to have maximum depth of field so
that the train won't hurt your Olympus equipment and your 28mm lens set at
f16 because you want it far away from you when you snap the shutter. Now
without referring to a hyperfocal chart or the scale on the lens is there any
way to pick a spot on the train tracks that will be the hyperfocal point? Is
is halfway to the horizon? Or maybe a third of the way to the horizon?  Or is
my question unanswerable because I've left out some variables?

Thanks.

Warren