Re: shops with net access was: Re: [OM] Hoya ND 400

Subject: Re: shops with net access was: Re: [OM] Hoya ND 400
From: "John Hudson" <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 20:50:27 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, July 11, 1999 4:01 PM
Subject: shops with net access was: Re: [OM] Hoya ND 400

>On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Giles wrote:
>>
>>In my experience many shops have only a rudimentary Net prescence and
sometimes only
>>check their email once a week.  However some of my nicest dealings have
been with
>>such slow respondents.
>>
>>Thomas Haegin wrote:
>>
>>> However, 4 days ago I made an Email request for price confirmation for
an
>>> ICS filter to that astro speciality shop in Augsburg, Germany of which I
>>> posted the link here some days ago... Great service! They haven't even
>>> bothered to reply!! And I offered to prepay for the thing!!! So far, I
must
>>> say, they suck big time!!!!
>
>This may have to do with the fact that most European countries have to pay
>online charges per unit time, whereas here in the US, it's easy to get
>unlimited access. At least this is what all the people across the pond
>have been complaining about on USENET. Best,

I think it more accurate to say that unlike in Canada and the US, local
phone calls are billed per unit of time. ISP's might charge a flat rate per
month for a specified or unlimited number of hours  but the as the dial up
is a local phone call the phone company is billing the telephone subscriber
for using the telephone line. This is certainly the case in the UK.

jh