Re: [OM] Shift Lens Panoramic?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shift Lens Panoramic?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:15:05 -0700
From: Ross Waite <rmwaite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Kodak, in their Workshop Series Book "Lenses for 35 mm Cameras", endorse
the use of a shift lens for composite panoramic shots...

From:   Rand E. [SMTP:rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxx]
the shift lens, the
wonderful thing that it is, is probably the last lens to use for a
montage unless you don't use the shift.
You will likely never get the adjacent frames to match because your
perspective will be different on the various shots.

I think we're talking two different things, here. Ross and John are talking about using a shift lens for a TWO exposure panorama, whereas Rand is talking about using three or more exposures.

With the shift-lens "panorama," the camera doesn't move -- just the shift setting does.

With a photomontoge panorama, the camera (or periscope :-) moves with each exposure, and I agree that a shift lens would make this more difficult to do.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229