Re: [OM] Depth of field

Subject: Re: [OM] Depth of field
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:48:18 +0000
At 03:43 7/12/99 , Warren wrote:
>f16 because you want it far away from you when you snap the shutter. Now
>without referring to a hyperfocal chart or the scale on the lens is there any
>way to pick a spot on the train tracks that will be the hyperfocal point? Is
>is halfway to the horizon? Or maybe a third of the way to the horizon?  Or is
>my question unanswerable because I've left out some variables?

Warren,

The best FAQ and tutorial I've seen is on the following web page:
  http://www.photo.net/photo/optics/index.html

One link at the bottom of the page will take you to an FAQ and the other to
an in-depth tutorial, both on the same site.  I suggest the FAQ first: Q8
and Q9 will likely answer your question (use the symbol definitions at the
beginning of the FAQ for the equations).  You will have to understand what
the "circle of confusion" is first (Q8) before going on the "hyperfocal
distance" (Q9).  It is a major factor in determining the what the
hyperfocal distance (and depth of field) is.

The tutorial goes deep with a *lots* of equations, but is *very* comprehensive.

-- John