Head on train shooting/was [OM] Depth of field

Subject: Head on train shooting/was [OM] Depth of field
From: "gary edwards" <maitani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:49:42 PDT
Here's how the pros did it for a startling IMAX movie sequence: the steam locomotive hurtled at you on the screen right up to a cut at impact. Did they sacrifice a very expensive IMAX camera? No, they put a mirror on a scaffold on the track set 45 degrees to the track. The camera was set up safely to the side of the track looking into the mirror. The train drove through the mirror without hurting anything but the mirror (7 years bad cinematographic bad luck?) Most railroad companies would complain if one of us Zuiks did that to one of their trains. Pity.

Gary Edwards