RE: [OM] Church photos from Yorkshire

Subject: RE: [OM] Church photos from Yorkshire
From: "Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 19:14:40 +0800
John wrote:

> John Gardner from Yorkshire, England took the following photo
> inside Ripon
> Cathedral with an OM4T and a 35mm shift Zuiko:
>
> http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/gardner/gardner5.html

This image has a tilt clockwise, but otherwise looks ok to me.

> I took the following photo inside a local Anglican parish church in
> Sheffield, Yorkshire using a Rolleiflex SL35 SLR with a
> standard 50mm lens
> at 1/2 second between f2 and f2.8 using Kodak Gold 200.

http://persweb.direct.ca/jahudson/images/ranmoor.jpg

This one looks ok to me also !

Looking closely at John's photo the vertical lines of the architecture on
either side of and beyond the altar appear to be parallel but neverthess
they create the illusion, to me at least, that the walls are falling
outwards. I do not sense anything in my photo that the walls are falling
outwards.

I am wondering if the effect of the shift lens is to create verticals but at
the expense of the illusion that outside verticals appear to be falling
outwards.

Looking at John's photo I am having to train my eyes to see a picture in a
way that I do not have to do with my photo. It might be that I have been
looking at non-shift lens photos for so long now that images such as my
photo register as "normal" whereas in fact they are not normal insofar as
the human eye actually registers what is shown in John's photo of Ripon
Cathedral.

I think the arches may be contributing to the illusion somewhat.  At first
glance your shot appears to have the outside arches leaning outward, but the
central window leaning inward, but on closer inspection everything looks
parallel.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/