Re: [OM] IR filter vs. Hoya ND 400

Subject: Re: [OM] IR filter vs. Hoya ND 400
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:01:16 -0700
From: Siri Bjoner <sbjoner@xxxxxxxxx>

Simple but stoopid question (I guess) but I have no experience with ND
filters, and rarely use filters at all unless I'm shooting IR:
Would I be able to shoot the eclipse using an IR filter (R72)?

Put on your thinking-cap, Siri! By design, an IR filter passes infrared, which we can't see, so it "looks" like a black filter. However, IR is a primary cause of sunburn, so it'll burn your eyeballs, too!

I think it's best to stick with "approved" methods. If you could safely substitute a cheap, common filter for an expensive, rare one, people would be doing it. And I haven't seen many EX condition replacement eyeballs on eBay lately,,, :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229