Re: [OM] IR filter vs. Hoya ND 400

Subject: Re: [OM] IR filter vs. Hoya ND 400
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:58:39 +0200
Siri Bjoner wrote:

> Would I be able to shoot the eclipse using an IR filter (R72)?

If you want to photograph the IR spectrum of the sun ;-)

> I know ND is neutral density (unless I'm way off here) and as such, these
> two filters cannot be compared, but as the R72 shuts out most wavelengths
> ... ?

Most, but IR. If you want to fry your camera and eyeballs :-()

I wouldn´t risk my eyesight by fiddeling around with filters of unknow
properties. Dedicated sun observation filters and foils are the way to
go, the radiation of the sun is to powerful to play with.

> Or is this a question best asked the IR list?

I would ask astronomers.

Regards

Richard