RE: [OM] Nickel Hydride AA cells

Subject: RE: [OM] Nickel Hydride AA cells
From: "Tom Trottier" <infoanim@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:18:06 -0400
My understandings of the differences betweeh batteries:

                        Alkalines       NiMh            NiCd
Initial charge  Very high       high            medium
        (AA's           2400 Mah        1200 Mah        800 MilliAmpereHours)
Self discharging        little  5-10%/day       1-2%/day
Max recharges   8-50            500             1000
        (alkalines need Saitek Eco or Smart Charger)
Max current     medium  high            very high
 (reduces time between flashes, but flash must be able to handle)
Overcharging sensitivity
                        ?               Very high       High (life is reduced)

There are some high-capacity NiCd, ~1100 Mah.
ALWAYS remove NiCds & NiMhs from a charger when warm.
The memory effect is a myth. NiCds die from overcharging.

Tom

From: Tom Trottier, President, ACT Productions Inc.
infoanim@xxxxxx                   http://www.act.ca
+1 613 594-4829                 fax +1 613 594-8944
199 Holmwood Ave,  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1S 2P3
"Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler" - Einstein