Re: [OM] advance lever jammed - IMPORTANT, Read, please

Subject: Re: [OM] advance lever jammed - IMPORTANT, Read, please
From: "Dunay Gejza" <hadesia@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:23:48 +0200
Dear Alex,

you exactly described the problem that I had - and I wrote about it on
list - several days ago. Very symptomatic is that both problems start
by use of CABLE RELEASE.
It is possibly that have the same problem as me on my OM4.
The repair workshop in Olympus does not exist in my country, and my
country is famous for " repair all yourself". In past centuries were
some peoples from Slovakia walking throuhg Europe and repair all home
stuff. The majority of peoples build his own houses with help of
family members itself. My father knew repair everything in the world -
he was designer ingineer for robotic system for industry. I heard
everytimes until his death " you do not know repair anything".
I thought about it but I hoped that I have some repair genes (although
normally I am "repairing" animal bodies) take a screw driver and
opened my OM 4. I think I was very brave, was not I? It is not easy to
take a screw driver to OM body (at least for me).
After I moving the wheels a little, the shutter and advance lever
started working again.
I putt all together, but after several attempts it blocked again. I
opened it again (bottom part) and after a carefully shaking spring out
a small part.  I put it together without this small part and the
camera seems work fine now.
But I have now a small part OUTSIDE a camera (please, no jokes that I
can build now other camera l need only try do it more often!) and I
wonder if it is important or not.
I will describe it (I looked on it under stereo microscope  by 32 x
magnification):
!!!!!!!
>From profile it looks like a stopper from champagne vine. The more
dick part is cylindric, although very slightly conic (I think it can
be technologic, may be it should be only cylindric), the diameter is
app. 2 mm (milimetres) and lenght app. 1.40 mm. The more thin part has
diameter 1.50 mm and lenght app. 0.30 mm. So it is VERY SMALL. Under
microscope you see that there, where are both parts connected is
around groove (again it can be technologic with no purpose). The part
has a BLACK coat similar to the OM4 body. It is not broken, because
the black coating is not damaged, only on 1 place is possibly to see
that some wheel "bite" into it.
Do somebody know where it is MISSING and if can camera operate WITHOUT
it?!?
John Hermanson, this is a question special for you as for  the
proffessional.  I know that you do not support repairing OM by
amateurs, but I had not other satisfied possibility.
I do not have any idea - I can not find place where it is missing. It
looks for me like a stopper to some hole.
Excuse me that I am a lot YELLING but I am very EXCITED from my first
Olympus repair! So I have now working camera + problem what can happen
without this small part.

I am on digest so if you want diccuss with me "in time" send a message
to hadesia@xxxxxxxx, too.

Best regards to all

Gejza Dunay
SLOVAKIA

>Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:43:41 -0600 (MDT)
>From: Skewes Alexandra M <Skewes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] advance lever jammed
>
>Hi:
>
>My OM-2s film advance lever is jammed  and I can't advance the film.
When