RE:[OM] My OM1 search and rescue mission

Subject: RE:[OM] My OM1 search and rescue mission
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:21:16 EDT
Stephen writes:

<< The many posts highlighting the less than perfect mirror
dampening on the OM1 must be disturbing to many undecided OM1 buyers. >>

It seems that may folks are missing the point here, since this isn't the
first time people have assumed this is a mirror issue.  All the tests that
Joel and I have conducted eliminates mirror dampening effects by using mirror
lock-up in the OM-1.  What we have shown instead is that mirror lock-up
doesn't insure vibration-free pictures.  It is coming from two additional
sources: the horizontally running shutter and the automatic diaphram
mechanism.

I've never been critical of the mirror dampening in the OM-1.  It has been
described as innovative.  I do question the attention it received in the
design phase in contrast to shutter and automatic diaphram operations.

Funny how we are about 25 years too late in this discussion.  It should have
been ongoing when the OM-1 was evolving into the OM-1n.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV