Re: [OM] "M.15V Ni-MH Control Pack 3" performance :-(

Subject: Re: [OM] "M.15V Ni-MH Control Pack 3" performance :-(
From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:52:27 -0600
> However, Motor Drive performance has
> dropped from 5fps (with the M.18V Control Grip) to 4fps.
> Questions: (1) has the original pack with the Ni-Cd cells the same problem
(I
> bought it when it was already dead) and

I noticed the same thing when I rebuilt my packs with NiMH cells.  Just
like yours, the Ni-Cd's in my packs were dead when I got them so I don't
have a benchmark to compare against.  I rebuilt one pack with 120mAh Varta
cells and the other with the newer 150mAh cells.  I found no difference
in performance between the two.

> (2) will adding the two extra Ni-MH
> cells (which is possible according to Rand E. Tomcala) boost performance
> back to 5fps or will it only add to the number of films that can be driven
> by one charge?

I tried rebuilding the pack using both 13 and 14 cells and found no
difference
in performance.  I stuck with 13 cells since it fits nicer in the pack.
-mark

Wow, what a coincidence!!  I just did the same thing.  I too replaced the
Nicads with NiMH using first 14 cells and then 12 cells and noted a dramatic
drop in speed of winding and rewinding of my Motor Drive 2.  I also have a
MD2 that just had new Nicads put in by a camera shop(they look to be
identical to the old ones that came with the drive) and it really hums!!!  I
am planning to buy some new nicads from Oly and change the wimpy NiMh back
to the Nicads.

Ron Crabtree
Santa Fe, NM