RE: [OM] Nickel Hydride AA cells

Subject: RE: [OM] Nickel Hydride AA cells
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:42:55 -0700
This is interesting because in non-photographic uses I have two different
experiences.

I have a cordless(nicad) electric shaver which is about 4 years old and I
recharge it when the LCD on the front says to. I hardly ever run it till
full discharge(actually, when it turns itself off). But it is close to
discharge. The readout gives an estimate of the minutes of use. When I
first bought it, it was good for 59 minutes after a charge. Now it is in
the low forties.

I also have a nicad powered electric toothbrush which is never ever close
to full discharge. It gets used a little and is recharged, the worst
treatment for memory effect according to the usual advice. It sits fully
charged on the charger all the time except when it is being used. I have no
way of knowing the life of the charge, but on two 10 day trips separated by
a year and a half, it did not come close to running out of battery charge.

I know the shaver has a charge cutoff and the toothbrush would have to have
one.

All of which makes me think that if there is a memory effect, it is not
huge and if there is failure it is more likely to be due to some other
problem such as improper charging.

Winsor