Re: [OM] Practical Books

Subject: Re: [OM] Practical Books
From: "gary edwards" <maitani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:23:25 PDT
"Examples" by Ansel Adams, though the work is largely by view camera.

Gary Edwards

From: "Thomas Haegin" <haegint@xxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 16:04:59 +0200

Dear list members,

does any of you folks know of a photo book without how-to-do texts,
but great pictures only and comprehensive technical information about
the picture, like lens length, f-stop, shutter speed, filters, film
used, location, cam system used (35mm, middle format, P&S,
whatever...), etc...

I really have a problem finding such a title. Normally, the pictures
in the glossy books of the great photographers provide little if none
tech details - but great pictures - while the usual textbooks
(Hedgecoe, Adams, Feininger) are too explanatory for my taste, lots of
text and too little pictures. I'm not saying they are bad or
worthless - not at all -, but I'm just looking for **PICTURES"".

Basically I want to see results, see how it was done and take it from
there to train my photographic eye (hopefully...). I tend to believe
that you can learn a lot from just glancing at pictures and digesting
the picture info, trying things out yourself then.

I went to about all bookstores here in Zurich, and we do have many
good ones (like Orell-Füssli), but the photo book sections are very
small in comparison to esotherics, psychiology, sociology, business &
management, software manuals, literature (of course), sports, travel,
pop culture, etc..... seems like demand for photo books is really not
there anymore... why is this so???

For example, there is this nice site, with lots of good pictures,

http://photo.net

but I wish they were more fully "documented". So if you know
something, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks a lot,
Thomas