Re: [OM] om2, program?

Subject: Re: [OM] om2, program?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:58:49 -0500
At 11:45 AM 7/16/1999 +0100, David Low wrote:

>OM2, and written in green is 'spotmatic program'(Maybe program spotmatic my
>cellphone
>kept going off). So keeping it simple guys, can you tell me the following:-

David,

This is the OM-2S, or OM-2SP (Spot Program) as it is known outside the USA.
 There is a lot of good discussion of it in the archives. The spot meter in
manual mode distinguishes it from the earlier OM-2's, plus the timer gives
you mirror lockup and aperture prefire.  Oh yeah, program mode too.  Pick
an aperture and just shoot.  Good when you want to pass the camera off to
the wife or kids for a few frames.   TTL flash in both auto and program
mode (but TTL flash is more useful and predictable in terms of DOF in auto
mode).

>a) is it worth the £80.00 they wan't to rush me (or £120 if i take the
lens (a
>f1.2
>Zuiko).

I think it is worth it with or without the lens. If you need the lens by
all means go for it.

>c) Could I obtain a top plate in good condition anywhere, and have it
fitted?.
>(No I
>wont attempt that myself.. Although an electronics engineer by trade, and an
>horologist by inclination. I'm a believer in letting the skilled craftsman
earn
>his
>living, aside from which he could tell me a lot more about condition etc).
>
>The top plate got brassed by using non standard straps btw.

Consider yourself lucky in getting a cheap OM-2S because somebody brassed
the hell out of it.  Forget about changing out the top, unless you're doing
it in conjunction with a CLA by someone qualified.  OTOH, I have no idea if
new tops are available.  You may need to locate a dead one.  Not worth the
bother (if it were me).  If you can't live with it that way, maybe look
elsewhere.  Particularly with the warranty you are offered on it, I think
you're in good shape.  Be sure to use SR44 batteries and test it thoroughly.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA