Re: [OM] CheckRated Store (yeah right)

Subject: Re: [OM] CheckRated Store (yeah right)
From: gma <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:17:01 -0700
At 01:03 PM 7/16/99 -0400, you wrote:
>First I want to thank everyone who steered me in the direction of B&H
>Photo. They've been great to deal with. I'm the one who asked about
>Cambridge Photo and now I don't even look at their ads to be tempted -
>thanks to everyone for saving me aggravation and probably money form
>setting be straight.
>
>I'm putting together some equipment for my son who is 12 to get him
>started. In looking over Popular Photography I saw an ad from AAA Camera
>Exchange listing some real low prices on Tokina lenses. The small print
>says that the prices listed are for OM mounts and other mounts are
>additional. Well I took the bait and called. Amazing how they don't have
>a single Tokina OM mount lens in stock and I should try to call in 2-3
>weeks to see what's happening. The other thing about their ad that I
>found funny is that in the real small print they say prices are valid
>until July 3. Isn't this after the August issues hits the stands?
>
>To say the least I'm not too impressed with Popular Photography's "Check
>Rated Program". Am I the first one to have this problem?

The word "Check" says it all.  The way it works is thus: Cambridge gives Pop a
Check, Pop gives Cambridge a "Check Rating".

Pop photo is basically a one-way money funnel.  **From us ** **To the NY stores
and the mfgs.**

>I guess it just goes to show that if it seems too good to be true it
>probably isn't.
>
>Jeff Bellin
>Newton, MA
>
>P.S. What mail order companies besides B&H have good track records?

Adorama is the only other one I'd use. And even they've pulled a couple of fast
ones on me, though just nickle/dime stuff.  But if they do it to everybody ....