Re: [OM] zoom lens suggestion

Subject: Re: [OM] zoom lens suggestion
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:17:00 -0500
At 11:12 PM 7/16/1999 -0500, you wrote:

I am new to the list. I bought my OM1 in high school over 20 years ago. I have just become interested in photography again and purchased another body (OMG) along with some used Zuiko lenses: 135 f3.5; 75-150 f4 and 35 f2.8. I already had a Zuiko 50 f1.8 and 28 f3.5 along with a Quantrary 80-205 zoom.

All of the fixed length Zuikos are excellent and have me satisfied. The 75-150 zoom, however, is not satisfactory. I had the lens cleaned and serviced by an olympus shop but it still is not what I had hoped for.

I am interested in others' recommendations for third party zooms in the range of 28-135 and 80-200. My budget is small so I hope some of the third party lenses are less expensive.

<<<<

Steve,

Welcome. Somebody a while back posted a neat URL on third-party classics:

http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/third/cult.html

There has been a lot of discussion of non-Zuiko zooms in the past. If Gary Schloss doesn't weigh in here, just search the archives for his name.

What do you think is wrong with your 75-150/f4? For what I use mine for, I've always been satisfied with it (hand-held, etc.). It doesn't beat any of the other Zuiko zooms that cover much of the same range (60-200, 85-250), but to me it handles better because of its size. Mine however is a relatively new one, and they were subject to element separation.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA
<thismessagewasdeliveredviatheolympusmailinglist> <forquestions,mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <webpage:http://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympuslist.html>