[OM] Re: Denatured Alcohol and Mirrors

Subject: [OM] Re: Denatured Alcohol and Mirrors
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 14:24:56 -0400 (EDT)

I have tried John Hermanson's advice -- got denatured alcohol at the
hardware store.  It has, as far as I can tell, nothing in it but methyl
alcohol and ethyl alcohol.  And *yet*, even it leaves a purplish residue.
I think I'm going to take this mirror in to be professionally cleaned.
(Not that you can see this residue in the viewfinder, but I'm worried it
will alter the meter's reading, no?)

Another question:  my 24/2.8 has what looks to be a sliver of something
foreign *beneath the surface* of the rear element -- possibly even cast in
the glass itself.  Should I worry about this, or is it just one of those
anomalies that has no effect on the picture?

Doug Cooper