[OM] (Fwd) mirror cleaning

Subject: [OM] (Fwd) mirror cleaning
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 23:36:18 +0000

From: Norma Foltz <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Well Doug

If you had a pair of hemostats then you could use a method that I learned for
cleaning the mirrors of lasers:   Take the Kodak lens paper (the real light
stuff) and
fold it repeatedly until you get a little square about 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch.
Clip that
into the hemostat so that it makes a miniature windshield wiper blade (very
stiff).
Now "moisten" the "wiper blade" with the tiniest drop of a solvent that is
appropriate
for the type of grease that is on the mirror -- if you are not sure try ACETONE
which is available in pure form at most drugstores.

Be sure to wipe only once in one direction only!  Use a new sheet of Kodak lens
paper
to fold up a new wiper blade for each wipe.

Sounds a little extreme?  Well not if the mirror is really expensive and could
explode
from having the tiniest particle of dust on it.

On my Om cameras I some times wrap a Q-tip with lens paper with pure acetone
from the fingernail polish section of the drug store.

-- Hank