Re: [OM] Message from Hank about NiMh vs NiCd & M18v control pack 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Message from Hank about NiMh vs NiCd & M18v control pack 2
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 18:53:39 -0400
Norma Foltz wrote:

> Still, we need to include a warning that using NiMH batteries of the
> conventional
> nine volt pack type may not be able to deliver power sufficient for 5
> fps witn the MD2
> on an OM4T and that rewind will also be slower if one uses NiMh
>
> I personally have switched back to Nickel Cadmium batteries  (the yellow
> EverReady kind) and the performance even with my OM2s at 3.5 fps max  is
> better than it
> was with NiMh which I tried twice with  new batteries.
> I now use all the cells inside two EverReady NiCad nine volt batteries.
> Tim and Rand  and everyone, what do you think?
>
> I'm willing to help if needed.

I don't understand this thinking.  NiCad cells are 1.2V.  NiMH cells are
1.2V  NiCads have capacities generally of around 800mAH while NiMH are
near 1300mAH.  So why would you get poor performance from NiMH since
they are the same voltage with a greater capacity.

My experiences in flash units is that NiMH act like NiCad except they
last longer.....

Are you sure that all the cells were good under load?

BTW, any 9V battery made with NiCad or NiMH cells will be either 8.4V,
if they're the good ones. or 7.2V if they're cheap....

Bob

> Hank Hogan

                   //////
                  ( 0 0 )
-73 de Bob----o000---O---000o---W8IMO@xxxxxxxxxxx----------------
 Three out of four people make up 750f the world's population!