RE: [OM] 2 or 4?

Subject: RE: [OM] 2 or 4?
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:53:24 +0200
Hi,

While commenting about differences between the OM-4 and the OM-2SP one
shouldn't forget to mention that the 2SP also has a program mode!

As far as the 2SP is concerned, the spot metering only works in Manual mode.

Here's what Hans' e-sif pages have to say about the 2SP:
"This camera can be regarded as a link between the OM-2n and the OM-4, or as
a semi-professional, cheaper version of the OM-4 targeted at the serious
amateur,
because Program Mode and slower Motor Drive operation aren't exactly
features professionals are waiting for. Compared to the OM-4 it misses the
1/2000 sec.
shutter speed, the 4 minutes Auto Exposure (2 minutes on the OM-2SP) and the
sophisticated multi-spot measuring. Spot measuring on the OM-2SP has been
simplified to single spot measuring that is linked to Manual Mode operation.
Center-weighted metering is not available in Manual Mode.
The OM-2SP was only made in black."

As far as the OM-4 is concerned, in addition to what has already been stated
above, it also has exposure memory (which can be very handy, especially when
working with manual diafragm lenses, like the shift lenses), shadow and
highlight control.

Where multi spot metering is concerned I can say I hardly ever use that
since I rather rely on taking single spot meterings, however, in certain
cases it can prove useful.

Now, for making a selection between the two of them I'd like to make your
"problem" a bit more difficult by giving you another consideration: consider
the 4Ti. Even on eBay you should be able to find a good 2nd handed 4Ti for
some $450, I realise this is a bit more expensive than the $300 you were
looking to spend, but I can guarantee you it will be well worth the
difference, as you will then most likely not feel any desire to buy a
different body after that (unless you're like me and feel like buying a
second 4Ti - which is something I'm more or less considering now).

For me the most important considerations for buying a 4Ti over a 4 were the
Super FP flash mode and the cure for the 4's battery drain problem, as
that's a real pain with cameras such as the 2SP, PC (40), and the 4! The
titanium is not so interesting for me, but others may disagree.

I hope not to have made your decision any more difficult, but I remember you
stated at one point that you were willing to splash out some $1000 for a
90/2 macro lens; I would consider spending half that money on a camera which
you will love forever.

Cheers!
Olafo