[OM] Neat Olympus thing

Subject: [OM] Neat Olympus thing
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:15:41 -0700
From: WKato@xxxxxxx

I have always had difficulty writng down basic subject, camera, lens,
shutter, aperture and exposure compensation information by using note cards,
Day Runner type things, tape recorders, electronic organizers, etc.

Join the club! (Discipline, discipline, where'd I put that whip... :-)

But I
think I found the solution.  Olympus makes this little digital recorder about
the size of 4 inches by 1 1/2 inches at the widest.

First off, if you couldn't use a tape recorder, what makes you think you will use a digital tape recorder? (Yea, the novelty of it will get you to use it until the novelty wears off... :-)

Second, if this is the product I looked at, it shares a stupidity with all the other digital recorders I've looked at: no automatic time/date stamping of recordings! Why didn't they go the extra inch and put a clock on the thing! You end up mumbling into it, "Duh, it's Sunday, July 19th... or is it Monday, can't remember when I'm on holiday, oh well, whatever, at -- oh damn, forgot my watch -- I'd guess about 8AM, but I'm jet-lagged, so I'm not sure..."

Also, what happens after 90 minutes? You're stuck! In the old days, you'd pop out a cassette, and pop in a new one.

The one kinda snazzy thing about the Oly is the automatic transcription when you plug it into a PC. (They don't have a Mac version.) On the other hand, I kinda like to do some editing when I transcribe.

So for now, I haven't found a digital recorder that improves life over a micro-cassette.

BTW: for less money, you could buy the Olympus S950, an old-fashioned micro-cassette recorder WITH A BUILT-IN CLOCK! Each recording you make is automagically time/date stamped! When you play back the recording, the date and time you made the recording is displayed. Now THAT'S useful!

Regular price on these is about $100; I got one on sale for $69, and was so impressed I got a second one for my truck on eBay for a little over $40.

IMHO, this is a perfect example of technology progression combined with functionality regression -- sorta like the current crop of consumer digital cameras.

"Getting a [computer, digital camera, digital recorder, etc.] is sorta like getting married so you'll have someone to help you with all the problems you wouldn't have had if you hadn't gotten married in the first place!" -- Steve Wright

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229