RE: [OM] OM4 Ti

Subject: RE: [OM] OM4 Ti
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:58:31 -0700
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
I have read some previous posts about people first removing all the paint of
the camera, and then repainting it completely. I don't know if there are
kinds of paint that stick better to titanium than the paint Oly uses.

Speaking as the son of a painter, and also as a person who is in the throes of remodelling for the second time in three years, the key to making paint stick is surface preparation.

I suspect that what is more important than what paint to use is how to treat the Ti so it will accept the paint. If I were to attempt a complete re-paint, I'd look for a chemical that would etch and oxidize the surface. (Note that titanium oxide is a common pigment in white paint.)

Assuming you've removed the components to be painted (John H., please don't read this part :-) I would then bake the enamel in a low oven -- say 200 degrees F or less -- for a couple hours. Air drying tends to accumulate dust.

That said, I must admit that I've touched up lots of photo gear -- including Olympus bodies -- with Rustoleum semi-gloss black. Use a fine artists' brush, and thin the paint with mineral spirits to the point that it doesn't form raised globs. For the best results, use several thinned coats, rather than one globby coat from the can.

On the other hand, there's something that a well-used body says, something like, "I take photos; I don't just sit on a shelf!" Just think, buying a beater saves you all the trouble of aging the camera yourself! Kinda like buying a used leather bicycle saddle...

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229