[OM] Sharpie

Subject: [OM] Sharpie
From: kelton <kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 99 08:08:05 -0700
>and yet another suggestion was to use a Sharpie pen. On my OM-40 I cleaned
>the brassed parts with lighter fuel and then applied a permanent black
>marker pen to them - a considerable improvement and easy to reapply when it
>wears off.
>Some markers are a bit greyish rather than black so perhaps a test trip
>round a stationers looking for a shade match might help the original poster.

A Sharpie pen, as you noted, gives a nice but temporary effect on brassed
corners of black items. It's pleasing to touch up one's own cameras with
a Sharpie, to see the instant improvement. The problem is, many camera
stores have discovered this trick, too. And sellers then buy cameras (and
lenses) they believe are in 'good condition,' that brass at a surprising
rate, once they are handled. Another reason not to buy on eBay, (if we
needed another one): you can't pass an alcohol swab over the corners of a
camera or lens you're considering, until it's too late.