Re: [OM] SUN lenses: anyone ever heard of 'em ?

Subject: Re: [OM] SUN lenses: anyone ever heard of 'em ?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:23:37 -0800
Tom Robbrecht wrote:

>I recently aqcuired a pristine SUN "Super Wide Zoom" [24-40]/3.5 (with macro
>mode) for my OM2N at a swap meet for next to nothing last week and I was
>wondering if anyone had ever heard of this lens / manufacturer. Any info
>will be much appreciated.

I don't believe SUN was a manufacturer.  Based on what SUN-labeled
gear I encountered, they were/(are?) a marketing organization.

The specific lens you're inquiring about (I have one in a diff. mount)
is IMHO a real "sleeper", though it can be a little soft wide open.
This lens is almost identical (except for cosmetics) to the Hoya HMC
25-42mm F3.5 that I had advertised 2-3 days ago in my "Midsummer
Dream" sale.  Both lenses were made by Tokina.

In the mid-80's, Tokina recomputed this design, eliminated the macro
mode, and re-released it as a Tokina AT-X 24-40mm F2.8 -- a very well
regarded zoom.  Sadly, it fell victim to the AF era, and was later
supplanted by a brand-new design -- a Tokina 20-35mm AF, which is
not available in OM mount.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, California, USA