Re: dancing diamond? was: Re: [OM] 2 or 4?

Subject: Re: dancing diamond? was: Re: [OM] 2 or 4?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:29:33 +0000
At 08:08 7/20/99 , Acer wrote:
>What's this thing anyway? No local places have OM, so I'm SOL if I want to
>see one in life. No mention on the various unofficial pages either. BTW,
>I've given up searching for pulitzer OM photos. No info whatsoever.

When the body is in Auto Mode (aperture priority AE) the shutter speeds are
displayed across the bottom of the viewfinder.  A segmented bar just above
the shutter speed numbers extends across the top of the shutter speeds from
the far right and ends above the shutter speed that will be used.  As you
rotate the aperture ring (on an auto lens) the bar will lengthen or shorten
across the shutter speeds.

The OM-4 and OM-4T can average up to eight spot readings.  If you press the
"spot" button, a diamond will lock over the top of the appropriate shutter
speed just above the segmented bar for that spot reading and not move
(unless you change aperture).  The segmented bar will stop under that
diamond.  A second diamond then appears and will move as you move the
center spot showing what a second spot reading would give.  If you press
the "Spot" button a second time, a second diamond will lock over a shutter
speed and the segmented bar will show the average of the two.  Thus, the
"dancing diamond" shows what the next spot reading would be if you press
the "Spot" button unless you have used all eight (which would be unusual
for most users).  Only the locked, non-dancing ones are averaged for the
exposure (which is shown by the segmented bar).  The diamonds do not show
up until you press the spot button the first time.

There is a lever switch that can be rotated left and right just under the
front of the shutter release button.  Rotating to the right clears all of
the spot readings so you can either start over with the spot readings or go
back to center-weighted averaging without the spot function.  (The left
direction locks an exposure reading up to 60 minutes for using the same
exposure on multiple frames; it is cleared by rotating to the right, the
same as clearing spot readings.)

Hope this explains it more,
-- John