Re: [OM] OM-88 info anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-88 info anyone?
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:27:44 +0200
: I am very tempted by the IS-3 but fear her reaction to its size.  Plus I'd
love
: to be able to use a choice of zuikos.  I recently found out about the OM-88,
: which seems to have come and gone relatively quickly.
: On the surface it looks fairly attractive...  it incorporates winder, program
: exposure available, auto-focus available with the right lenses, and yet the
: regular zuikos will also work.  Used prices seem reasonable.
: My question is:  What's the catch?  Is this camera any good?  Does it bridge
: the gap between a 2S and an IS-3?  How does it compare with either?  Reliable?
: A search in the archives (97 and 98 are the only ones I can find) reveal some
: fairly negative comments on the OM-77.  Do they apply to the 88 also?

This camera does *not* have Auto Focus; it has *Power Focus*. Instead of turning
the focus ring you turn a wheel at the back of the camera that operates the
built-in motor of AF lenses (intended for the OM-7[0]7) or PF lenses (specially
intended for the 101/88). Does this have any advantage? Not that I'm aware off.
Well it lets you actually *use* the AF/PF lenses that don't have a focusing ring
at all. And because the 707 and 101 are unwanted cameras, you can get these
AF/PF lenses rather cheap. The lenses are fine.

Without the Manual Adapter 2, I would rate this camera even a worse P&S than the
7[0]7AF because it has no aperture/shutter speed info, but _with_ this adapter
you have more control over the exposure than on the 707 and I would rate it a
bit higher. Besides it is less bulkier.

If you really want AF, I think you're better off for your wife with the IS-30
you mentioned in your other post. But before you decide, let her hold the
IS-3(000) to make sure it really is too heavy and big for her. Because the
IS-3(000) and its predecessors, the IS-1(000) and IS-2(000) are the only serious
cameras in this series, giving you full controll if you want to.

If you you really want a _small_ camera like the IS-30 you should also consider
the Centurion, which is the APS version of the IS-10/20/30 series and it is even
a bit smaller. The updated model with its silver body has MRC (Mid Roll Change)
which can be a big advantage: change from slow film to fast film to B&W film to
slide film at any moment with just a push on the button.

hnz