Re: [OM] OT - Windows and dates.

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Windows and dates.
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:29:22 -0800
Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:

>Jeez!
>Anyone noticed the date on my reply to the ADITL_5?  Sun, 16 Jul 1995!!
>
>I have not had the computer turned off for a month or so, but suddenly I
>noticed many strange things...
>I don't know what went wrong, but to me it appears that Windows suddenly
>changed the time from present to four years ago. Can that be?
>I blame Windows, and Microsoft!
>Folks, *never* pay for such crap! ... anything but Windows!!!

Boy, who would have thought that I'd be defending WindoZ and the "Evil
Microsoft Empire" ?!  Ingemar, I'll make you pay for this. :-)

Seriously though:

Your problem is likely not with the OS, but with the little lithium
battery which exists inside every desktop computer.  When your computer
is switched OFF, this battery supplies the power to a certain part of
the memory which contains sys/config parameters that the OS needs
during boot up.  One of these parameters is "system date and time".

This lithium battery has a useful life of 3-4 years, and then needs to
be replaced.  When the battery dies, the system date an time regresses
to some value that is hard-wired into your desktop's microprocessor.

Btw, you don't HAVE TO replace the lithium battery, but then -- you
must open the appropriate control panel and set the correct time and
date each time you turn on your computer.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, California, USA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx