[OM] Temporary solutions to IR dimple

Subject: [OM] Temporary solutions to IR dimple
From: Norma Foltz <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:51:39 -0700
Barry,

I've experienced that pressure plate dimple effect peculiar to OM
cameras
with Kodak High Speed Infrared film.  It is particularly bat when you
are using a strong
developer like HC110 dilution B.  It is hardly noticeable with much
lower contrast
developers like Tmax.
You can see an example of the "dimple effect" on the IR section of my
web page at
http://www.netcom.com/~flzhgn/ir.htm

It is very apparent in the upper right hand corner of the Infrared photo
of clouds from
38,000 feet.

I've used various things to cover the dimpled back pressure plate and
all of them have
worked.  I first put a piece of exposed completely black RC photo paper
over the pressure
plate with a piece of double stick tape.  It worked fine for a few
years.
Right now I've got a piece of completely exposed and developed E6 slide
film leader
over the pressure plate and this works just fine also.
The next time I put something in it will be a highly reflective piece of
aluminized mylar
"Space Blanket" material because I hope to enhance the so called "Wood"
effect and
those ghostly highlights in IR / HIE photography due to the lack of an
antihalation layer.
It is analagous to the effect one perceives when ones eyes are dilated
by contact with
drugs like scopalamine the anti seasickness remedy that I believe is no
longer on the US Market.
   I wonder if animal like dogs and cats with that "tapeta lucidum"
layer in their retinas perceive
effects like this especially when the pigment epithelium is retracted as
in dark adaptation.
The similarities of the eye and the camera just like the retina and film
are fun to think about.
Contact me off list if you want to pursue this further.

Hank Hogan <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

BTW -- I often use my wife Norma Foltz's computer for reading the
Olympus List.