Re: [OM] Vivitar close-up lenses on Zuiko 50/1.4

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar close-up lenses on Zuiko 50/1.4
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:31:40 EDT
In a message dated 7/22/99 9:16:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bigjoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hello, I'm new to the list and even newer to being an Olympus owner
>  (and, in fact, it's my first SLR).  I got an OM-1n w/ 50/1.4 from
>  Olympus Exchange about two weeks ago and have been very happy so far,
>  though I've only gotten back one roll of film so I'm clearly in
>  desperate need of taking many more shots.

Welcome to the list!

>  Anyway, here's a question.  A friend of mine has some old Vivitar
>  close-up lenses that fit on the front of my 50/1.4 lens.  There are
>  3 of them: a #1, #2, and #4, and they can be attached in series.
>  According to the instruction sheet that is still with them, they
>  should give something like a 1:2.75 close-up on a 50mm lens.
>
>  When they're attached, the viewfinder image is clear and the meter
>  appears to work as expected, though I don't know if it's accurate.
>
>  I'm wondering if there's any hope of these things working well.
>  No doubt they're nothing compared to a macro lens, but I'm looking
>  for housing in Boston on a student's budget and therefore don't
>  have much to spend.  If these could give me even a decent close-up
>  shot, just to expand the range of shots I can take, I'd be happy.

You are right, they are not going to be as good as a true macro lens. They
should make decent shots of 3D objects though (forget flat things like copy
work). They are easy to use, because they give a bright image in the finder,
and very convenient. Use them and see what happens!

>  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Paul Schings
Coventry, Rhode Island USA