RE: [OM] Mail order film/processing - best sources?

Subject: RE: [OM] Mail order film/processing - best sources?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:23:41 -0500
At 02:26 PM 7/23/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Would you send Kodachrome 25 & 64 or Kodacolor to Fuji or to Kodak?

Buy Kodak mailers for Kodachrome films, since Fuji doesn't handle this
process, which is different from E6.  I use Fuji mailers for all brands of
E6 slide film, mainly because they are cheaper (I think).  When I bought
Ektachrome 100 VS recently, I did however bu Kodak mailers for each roll.
I've never shot much Ektachrome.  I'll probably send a roll to Fuji and see
if I looks as good as a roll I've sent to Kodak.  If it does, I'll probably
just stick to Fuji.  This is just my predilection at this point.  I can't
say for sure if it's the best way to do things.  It's just easier to buy
one kind of mailer if possible

Kodacolor is print film.  I don't buy mailers for print film any more.  I
get the cheapest processing I can through a large-volume retail store.  My
main concern is that the negatives are not mishandled, scratched, and/or
dirty.  Walmart is vendor of choice for the moment.  The prints themselves
are merely proofs;  my scans of negatives yield infinitely superior results
IMHO.  If I were really concerned about prints as the final result, I would
do things differently, probably by cultivating a good relationship with a
local lab and expecting to pay the price.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA