Re: [OM] Lens Choices for Travel

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Choices for Travel
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:56:28 EDT
Hi Ross,

   The first 4 lenses of your system is dead on for travel--sharp and light
weight. However, I don't have a high regard for the 200F5.0 as I find it too
slow--always taking the 180F2.8 instead. In two recent vacations, over a
third of my shots were available light "night shots" or dim interiors of
hotels, art galleries, cafes or restaurants. I would strongly suggest trading
the 200 for the OMB 65/200 zoom or a 180F2.8OM or a 180F2.5 Tamron. Even a
135F2.8 would be preferred.
   As to film I agree with the Fuji ProviaF--which according to Fuji USA is
supposed to be available at the end of August in the US!!! To that, I would
also bring a stock of Fuji NHGII 800 print film--perfect for those dim places
where flash would destroy the "atmosphere", yet as sharp as regular 400 film.
     Lastly and very importantly, I would urge you to add a second camera
body "just in case"--specifically the OM2000 which is mechanical and is
available at B&H for $160 new. Also, you could put the fast print film in
it--reserving the OM4 for the more critical slide film.

    I assume you are going to give your dauther an Olympus Stylus Epic P/S
with it's very sharp 35F2.8 lens also!

Alex