Re: [OM] Lens Choices for Travel

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Choices for Travel
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:56:15 EDT

> Subj:  [OM] Lens Choices for Travel
>  Date:        99-07-24 09:55:04 EDT
>  From:        rmwaite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ross Waite)

>  G'day
>
>  In April and May next year, I hope to take my first ( and maybe only)
>  overseas trip, accompanied by my wife & ten year old daughter.

Sounds like a great trip.

>  My plan at this stage is to take my OM-4 body, 21/3.5, 28/2, 40/2, 85/2 &
>  200/5, plus a light tripod with a small Manfrotto ball head fitted with a
>  Uni-Loc quick release mechanism.  These choices have been made to give a
>  reasonable choice of focal lengths plus a selection of fast lenses to
>  minimise the times I need to use the tripod.
>
>  Other options are:
>
>  - substitute my 35-70/3.5-4.5 for the 40/2. (sacrifice speed for
>  flexibility of composition)

I carry around the same basic set up in my Lowe Orion except that I use the
50/3.5 for that more than occassional macro shot instead of the 40/2.

>  - substitute a 70-210 (which I would have to buy) for the 200/5 ( no real
>  loss of speed but maybe greater flexibility?)
>    (After reading Gary Reese's test of the Cosina made 70-210, it seems it
>  may be a reasonable choice for travel weighing only 355g. It is also
>  reasonably priced.  Only down side appears to be pronounced pin cushion
>  distortion at 135mm setting)
>  - substitute a 135/2.8 (which I would also have to buy and may be hard to
>  come by) plus my Kiron 1.5x TC for the 200/5  (gain in speed plus an
>  intermediate focal length, but sacrifice quality at 200mm when using the
>  1.5x TC)

I just don't use the 135mm length even though I have several. Or you can take
a 135/3.5 so you can use the same filter size.  The 100-200 zoom is a
possiblity but is too long to fit into my fanny pack.

>  - include my 35 shift  (may be useful for the architecture, but may not
>  really be wide enough for a lot of situations).  I would be prepared to
lug
>  the extra weight of this lens if someone convinces me it will be really
>  useful.

For those church interior and exterior shots the 21/3.5 or the 28/2 should
suffice for vacation purposes. You can always scan and correct it later in
Photoshop if need be. I really should sell my 35 shift as I never use it.

>  Also any thoughts on film would be appreciated.  I am thinking of
>  standardising on 100 speed, perhaps Sensia 2 or Provia (or maybe the new
>  Provia 100F if it is released by then.)  If necessary I could rate the odd
>  roll at 200 and push process.  Many of the British landscapes I have seen
>  in the mags have been shot on Velvia. I don't particularly like this film
>  for Australian conditions - a bit over the top, but maybe I could be
>  convinced to take some.  (Problem is its slow speed, which may mean an
>  extra body - one for the Velvia and one for a higher speed GP film. This
>  would start to make my backpack very heavy.)

Provia would work great but Velvia is my favorite. Many cities in Europe are
rather drab, especially the older architecture, so the increased color
contrast peps up your photos. But then again there's nothing wrong with more
realistic photos. Stay with Provia as it is very sharp and obviates the need
for a tripod in many situations.

>  I plan on taking 2 filters - polarising (cir) & 81A.  Is a ND grad (Cokin
>  style) worth taking along? If so, can anyone recommend a brand that
doesn't
>  give a colour cast? (The rather cheap one I have gives a noticeable
magenta
>  cast.)

You seem to have the essentials down.  You can always use an ND grad whenever
you're outside. I would recommend the HiTech ND grads for being neutral, not
too expensive and fitting in the Cokin "P" holder. My Cokin grey is really
green. I would think that the larger "P" size is needed for your 21/3.5.

>  Hope all of this is not too much for one query, or too OT for the list.
>
>  Regards
>  Ross Waite

Here's what I have presently crammed into a Lowe Orion II fanny pack (which
goes with me wherever I go). OM4T, OM2S, 16/3.5, 21/3.5, 28/2, 50/3.5,
100/2.8, 200/5, stack of 49mm filters, Hoya multiangle lens hood and
flashlight. This will cover almost anything I run across, except for wildlife.

Have a wonderful trip.

Warren