[OM] OM2000 durability...takes a licking?

Subject: [OM] OM2000 durability...takes a licking?
From: "c.e. packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:17:20 -0500
I decided to take in a minor league baseball game last week. Thought it would be
a good place to test a 2x teleconverter. I took an OM-2n, 200mm f4, 2X-A, long
lens support and monopod for long shots. For closer subjects, I took an OM2000
and S 35-70mm 3.5~4.8. All packed in a Tamrac waist pack except the OM2000 +
35-70 it was around my neck. Wandered around taking shots with the OM2000,
enjoying the game, the crowd ,etc...  So far so good.

I wanted to switch to the OM-2n and 200mm for some close-ups of the players. I
located a convient table made the change and put the OM2000 in the bag. Went to
the bottom of the stands and found a seat from where to shoot. Unbuckled the
waist pack, it naturally falls away, and the OM2000 tumbles 6-8 inches out into
a seat. Somebody forgot to zip the bag closed! My OM-1 has suffered this
distance drop a few times over the years, so I thought "No problem". Picked up
the OM2000, JAMMED UP BIG TIME.

Got home checked the warranty, it's expired of course. I checked current body
prices, calculated possible repair costs, and decided to look get the
screwdriver set I keep for my glasses. This was the first time I've unscrewed
anything except a shot shoe from any of my OMB's. I removed the bottom plate and
saw the trouble. A linkage that cocks the shutter when the film advance winder
is operated popped off a guide pin at one end. Popped it back on and the shutter
is still jammed. I remembered somewhere on the list someone's suggestion to give
a jammed camera a good whack to unjam the shutter. I tried it, it worked!
Unfortunately the shutter release is now a bit sticky so something's not quite
right inside, but I'm satisfied for now.

My decision after all this, not to buy another OM2000, stay with real OMs that
can take a licking a keep on clicking. ;-)