[OM] Lens Choices for Travel

Subject: [OM] Lens Choices for Travel
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:10:58 -0400
Several months ago there was a lot of traffic here about the new, high
power X-ray machines now going into service and some pretty convincing
stuff about their ability to fog your film.

If you're going to be passing through lots of airports (as you certainly
must) then perhaps you should consider purchasing your film along the
way as you need it and have it processed locally or sent via mailer.

I don't do much air travel any more so have no current, first hand
experience.  Others on the list will undoubtedly have some good advice.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts

Ross Waite said:

In April and May next year, I hope to take my first ( and maybe only)
overseas trip, accompanied by my wife & ten year old daughter.
<snip all the lens stuff>

Also any thoughts on film would be appreciated.  I am thinking of
standardising on 100 speed, perhaps Sensia 2 or Provia (or maybe the new
Provia 100F if it is released by then.)  If necessary I could rate the
odd
roll at 200 and push process.  Many of the British landscapes I have
seen
in the mags have been shot on Velvia. I don't particularly like this
film
for Australian conditions - a bit over the top, but maybe I could be
convinced to take some.  (Problem is its slow speed, which may mean an
extra body - one for the Velvia and one for a higher speed GP film. This
would start to make my backpack very heavy.)
<snip the rest>