Re: [OM] zooms for OM camera? (a bit long)

Subject: Re: [OM] zooms for OM camera? (a bit long)
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:27:33 -0700
Jacques;

Welcome.

You are lucky in that you ran into an honest salesman.  Everything he
told you is correct.

The 70-210 is made by cosina, and is very light and a reasonably good
performer, but not up to Zuiko standards.

The Zuiko zooms in this range are : 50-250/5; 85-250/5; 100-200/5 and
65-200/4.  Of these, the 50-250 seems to be the most highly regarded.
The 85-250 and 65-200 are also great lenses, while the 100-200 is good ,
but not quite as good as the others.  Unfortunately, none are available
new, but there is a thriving used market on the net and on ebay. Look
here: http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm for lens
tests, altho you must extrapolate a bit, as the tester has found that
results are surprisingly better when tested with an OM-4 than an OM-1
because the -4 self-timer prefires the mirror AND stops down the
aperture.  So check to see which camera the tests were done with and you
can probably safely ad about 1/2 grade if done with OM as an
approximation. Approximate prices can be found here:
http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html
A 50-250/5 in excellent condition sold on ebay recently for $406. These
are the hardest to find of the 4.

If it were me, I'd get the best lens I could afford, even if I couldn't
afford it!  You won't be sorry for the xtra $ spent.  The 65-200 might
be the best bang for the buck. It's a nice range, is 2/3 stop faster
than the others and has a 1:7 macro at 200mm.  It's a solid lens. I've
had one for about 15 years, always a great performer.

Hope this helps

George

PS: I have a 100-200/5 and a 65-200/4 that I'd be willing to sell with a
MBG if you're interested.