Re: [OM] OM-30 autofocus lens

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-30 autofocus lens
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 18:21:09 +0200
:I have an OM-30 OMF on the other side of the pond) and I am
:trying to get hold of the 35~70mm AF F4 lens for it.  I have read
:the discussions in your archives, but there wasn't any owners opinion.
:Does anyone have any experience of using this
:lens & camera combination?  I am unsure what to expect compared
:to a modern autofocus SLR in terms of speed & accuracy and the
:trade off in terms of cost between buying this lens or trading up to a
:new camera.  I would be grateful for any feedback!

I had this combination for a short while, just out of curiosity. I traded in my
first camera, an OM-10, for the OM-30 to play with the in-focus indicator. I
found this really a drag; the damn thing blinked even when I was sure a had a
sharp image on the matte area. When I saw the 35-70mm AF lens I bought that too,
also out of curiosity. It came with the In-Focus Trigger Cord. This combination,
with or without the Winder, was also very disappointing. Autofocus was slow, but
what was worse, it did not work at all in poor light situations, that is, in
situation where autofocus would have been helpfull. Since there is no autofocus
assist light on the camera or on any System Flash, autofocus stops. Besides the
whole combination looks bulky and is too heavy. Look at it as a collectors item,
or as an industrial momentum: an intermediate model in the development of
autofocus, but don't expect to do anything useful with it. Well, one nice thing
about the lens is that its autofocus also works with other OM cameras (but not
triggered by the camera), and that it is rather cheap. I've seen this lens for
f.150 (=$75) here in Holland. But for that price you can also get one of the
normal 35-70mm Zuikos.
If yeally want a good SLR autofocus camera that has the name Oympus printed on
it, go for the IS-300, IS-3000 or maybe the Centurion-S.

Hans van Veluwen
The Unofficial Olympus OM Sales Information File
http://www.veluwen.demon.nl/om-sif.htm