[OM] A visit from Ken Norton

Subject: [OM] A visit from Ken Norton
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:40:12 -0500
Oly Shooters,

Ken Norton dropped off I-80 at Iowa City on his way from Quincy, IL to home
in Newton, IA, to check in on me. He met the wife and kids, the latter of
whom had some kind of contest going to see which was the least shy.  "Uncle
Ken" as he will now be known is doing contract work for his old firm.  This
seems to involve working for about 250f the time but making about the
same money as when he worked for them full-time. Seems like the boy's
figured some things out.

I showed him my new OM2000.  He looked as though he might be inclined to
apologize to his eyeball for looking through the viewfinder, just as he had
apologized to his OM-2S for putting my Sigma zoom on it last May.
Grudgingly he commented that it handled nicely and was probably worth
having for the spot/averaging meter complex, double-exposure capability,
and higher flash sync speed. He said, "But it's no OM-1," and I broke the
news that the shutter of the OM2000 is smoother than the OM-1's but didn't
probe the wound. I'm not going to try to carry that argument with a person
who hasn't been softened up by Gary Reese first.

He's been shooting mostly 6x7 and making some money doing weddings. No
personal photography since our May outing, alas.  (That's about the same
for me, too.)

Ken is still questing for the ultimate 35mm camera for his professional
work, and now talks eloquently of Contax (never ask me which model, I don't
follow that line).

It was good to see him.  He says "Hi" and threatens to start lurking again
one of these days.  I told him we could have used him a couple of times
over the last few weeks ... <G>

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA