Re: [OM] New lens tests posted

Subject: Re: [OM] New lens tests posted
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:11:53 EDT
In a message dated 7/26/99 10:20:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
MHeath333@xxxxxxx writes:

> I don't know if you've addressed this before, as I'm new to the list, but
can

>  you explain why the OM-1 shutter has affected some of your lens tests in
the

>  wide apertures only?  Why don't they affect the results across the whole
>  aperture range?  And what is it about the OM-2000 that improves this?

This was covered extensively not too long ago. What Gary found (correct me if
I am wrong, Gary) is that with at least some lenses (like the 200/4) the OM-1
with mirror locked up was not as sharp (read more vibration) than an OM-4 or
OM-2000 using the self-timer's mirror and aperture prefire mechanism. I think
the conclusion was that the extra vibration is coming from the apertur
mechanism, which still gets stopped down at exposure time on the OM-1. The
OM-4, OM-2S, and OM-2000 all bring the mirror up and stop the aperture down
at the beginning of the self timer's 12 second delay. The OM-2000 also has a
vertical insead of horizontal shutter, but this seems to have had little
affect, based on Gary's tests.

Paul Schings
Coventry, Rhode Island USA