[OM] OM4 part II; MD2 charger

Subject: [OM] OM4 part II; MD2 charger
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:44:44 -0700
From: "Wiese" <wiese@xxxxxxxxxx>

Apart from that, would anyone have an M. 15v Ni-Cd Charger FS?

If you know anything about electricity and solder and such, you are probably better off constructing your own. The M.15 charger is notorious for destroying battery packs when attached too long.

I don't know if you have anything like "Radio Shack" in .au land, but in the US, you can get the few parts you need there.

The simplest charger would be a ~20 VDC source, an LM723 adjustable voltage regulator integrated circuit, a resistor, and a couple of capacitors. The voltage regulator chip is wired with feedback as a current regulator. The 20 volt DC source is a 16 VAC transformer, rectifier diode, and filter capacitor, or if you look around at electronics "bargain bins" you might be able to find such a thing as a self-contained "wall wart" power supply.

The most difficult part of the project would be the mechanical coupling to the battery terminal contacts. Buy an M.15 charger and cut the plug off the end. (The best use *I* can think of for this battery-killer! :-)

If there's sufficient interest, I might be talked into making plans available. (Bribes work great, too! :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229