Re: [OM] Twinning OM bodies for stereo: Any experiences?

Subject: Re: [OM] Twinning OM bodies for stereo: Any experiences?
From: "wbiesele" <wbiesele@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:56:09 +0000
Jan Steinman and Pauls wrote:

> >In a message dated 7/26/99 10:28:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hopi@xxxxxxxxxx
> >writes:
> >
> > > I'm investigating building a "twin rig" (two, synchronized camera bodies
> > >  joined together) for stereo...
>
> >Which body you use shouldn't matter. What you probably want to do is put a
> >winder on each one, and wire the trigger release connector in each in
> >parallel with a simple switch...
>
> I agree with Paul, except to note that unless you are interested in
> fast action stereophotography, you can probably get by much cheaper
> by using the Olympus double cable release. These are intended for
> use with a bellows, but should work just fine for two cameras as
> well. In normal use, it is adjusted to "fire" the bellows slightly
> before firing the shutter, but I think it could be adjusted to fire
> both shutters at the same time. They are somewhat rare, but you
> should be able to get a used one for about 1/3 of the price of one
> used Winder 1.
>
> That said, triggering the cameras is probably the easiest part.
> Building a suitable tripod mount and aligning the lenses is probably
> more troublesome!

If a minute or so is available, the macro focusing stage and slider
can be used to do stereo photos with one camera, mount the camera 90
degrees from the normal position, slide the camera left (or right),
take a picture, crank the camera to the right (or left) and take the
second shot. The focusing stage is calibrated in mm so achieving a
measured separation is easy.

For two camera operation I've used the Bogen two camera arm and 3232
heads. A meter long level was sufficient to align the cameras.
However the total separation available with the macro gear is enough
to get you well into the 'hyperstereo' realm.

William Biesele
http://www.wolsi.com/~wbiesele/