RE: [OM] OT - Lens Choices for Travel -> now: photo books

Subject: RE: [OM] OT - Lens Choices for Travel -> now: photo books
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:15:21 +0200
Hi,

> For anyone who is interested in taking a look at some of the
> more unusual and yet scenic places in England, I can recommend two books
> by retired BBC broadcaster John Timpson. His books are:

[...]

Yes, I merely briefly stated the obvious, but of course it's always nice to
hunt for some of the more hidden gems.

> The books contain detailed maps, lots of photos, and a lot of detailed
> informative writing and cover such features as

[...]

> pyramids,

Shouldn't that be in the Egyptian or Mayan edition??? ;)

> rocks and stones,

Ah yes, that's a major sight I completely forgot to mention, the stone
circles. Nice for double exposures with a moon behind it, and probably
sunsets and/or nocturnal pictures will also work out nicely there.

> windows,

Hmmm, that's what one has a computer for ;)

> windmills,

Hey!!! That's what _my_ country is famous for!! :)

> You can pick a subject and trace them to their various locations across
> England by country or you can pick a county and identify all the
> opportunities in that county.

That is really cool. It would be very handy to have such books for the
countries one visits...

> For example, anyone who wanted to spend a week or two or three or four
> visiting unusual pubs across England I can think of no better
> reference source than Mr Timpson's books.

Maybe you could stop the occasional Irishman walking by, and ask him for the
local pub scene?
[For Giles and other Irish listmembers: I've worked with a lot of Irishmen
over the last year and a half, so I've learned how to pick up their (i.e.
your) way of taking the p**s with one another; no offence! ;)))]

Cheers!
Olafo