[OM] [OT] A plea for trimming quotes

Subject: [OM] [OT] A plea for trimming quotes
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:16:13 -0700
Cc: TO@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Can we please try to clean up the quotes we re-mail? I just received a digest that had a posting containing three original lines, but it took up about a quarter of the total digest, and was easily hundreds of lines long -- all of quotes that had previously appeared on the mailing list!

The Internet is growing faster than its culture. If you're a "newbie," here's a short summary of "nettiquette," the etiquette of electronic communication:

1) turn off any embellishments, such as HTML, styled text, embedded graphics, face files, "vcards," etc. Be aware that your Good Uncle Bill may have thoughtlessly, er, I mean thoughtfully, pre-configured such "noise" options if you are using one of his products. :-) Look in the Olympus List archives if you need help -- it comes up over and over again.

2) keep any signature you append to a few lines or less,

3) cut out (or turn off the automatic inclusion of) ALL quoted material, or

4) leave in only quotations to which you are directly responding,

5) if you MUST quote, make sure the attributions are correct,

6) keep "flames" (personal attacks) private, if you must at all,

7) LEARN TO USE THE SHIFT-LOCK KEY, SO YOU CAN SHOUT AT EVERYONE, :-)

8) don't write anything you'd be embarrassed to have your mother read.

Here's a useful guide to nettiquette, and there are lots of others -- type "nettiquette" into your favorite search engine. (That's how I came up with this one. It only took 15 seconds to find it.)

<http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/Information_and_ Documentation/Beginner_s_Guides/Netiquette/>

The ONE thing I always try to do that solves many of these problems: re-read your ENTIRE posting before sending, pretending you are a stranger. Are you bored with all the quotes? Did you form a good impression of yourself? Are you tempted to reply with a flame? Then spend a few moments editing, which will make HUNDREDS of people think better of you!

Sorry for the rant. We return you to your regularly scheduled mailing list... :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229