Re: [OM] Olympus cameras under water use

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus cameras under water use
From: Mike Butler <abutler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:21:48 -0700
        Thanks all for the good advice, I knew it was out there.  But I'm
afraid good answers only create more questions.
        My skills as a diver are always being developed, but I have been diving
for over 10 years.  I dive The Monterey Bay most often and the
California coast north to Eureka the rest of the time.  But it is
starting to be just the same old thing.  I don't get to do much blue
water diving and Monterey is only two hours away.  My Dive Instructor
suggested under water photography as a way to make the same old dive
more challenging with out adding to the physical risk.
        I am going to try the N*k*onos III for starters and if it seems to
bring back the thrill of diving the same old spots, I'll probably get a
Ikelite or equal housing for my OM-1n.  If that happens I'll be back for
more info.
        For now I am curious about how the under water lens design differs,
other than the obvious water tight aspects.  I think it was Dr. Gilbert
who mentioned the difference in focal lengths, does this mean a macro
lens designed for under water shots has a different design than a land
design? Are there still advantages to using a macro style lens, or do
you need additional correction?
Thanks again to all with words of wisdom.
--
Mike Butler
Chief Mechanic / Engineer