Re: [OM] Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested

Subject: Re: [OM] Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested
From: P2CON@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 22:30:16 EDT
In a message dated 7/29/99 2:42:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time, PCACala@xxxxxxx
writes:

<< Casey's Camera in Las Vegas was gracious enough to lens me the 1978 Walter
 Mandler designed 50mm f/2 Summicron-M and a Leica M-2. >>

Gary, I do not want to start a controversy over Leica 50mm Summicrons, trying
to determine which one is which, but, the reference book I have shows that
the first of the "fourth generation" Summicrons was issued in 1979 starting
with S/N 2967000, (approx.). The "third generation" 50mm Summicron which was
supposedly not as good optically as the fourth, was released in 1969 and sold
as late as 1979 ending with S/N 2995000, (approx.). In any event, they are
easy to tell apart, the third generation has a rubber serrated focusing ring,
and the fourth has a convex finger tab focusing aid.
I for one would be very interested in knowing if you actually tested the
"fourth generation" 50mm Summicron and not the "third generation." The Leica
users group lens test master, (Erwin Puts) pretty much claims the fourth
generation lens to be the finest of the fine and a good bit better than any
earlier 50mm Summicron, especially at wide aperture settings.

To put this whole question into perspective, I am a bit of an equipment
junkie along with my Zuikoholic adiction, and I recently paid $390 USD for a
well-used 50mm Summicron of the third generation looking for the elusive
"Leica Look". I am still trying to see it.

Regards, Paul Connet