Re: [OM] Pre-press secrets

Subject: Re: [OM] Pre-press secrets
From: MHeath333@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 23:42:55 EDT
My PT renewal form came in the mail today.  I just may well go for the
three-year subscription paid up front, but include two cents' worth of things
I'd like to see in future issues:

<< ...there isn't much being written about
 lenses subjectively outside of Japan. >>

I'd like to know what the Japanese are writing.  The only inkling I have had
of this was in those marvelous 'bokeh primer' articles in a 1997 PT issue.
One writer said Minolta lenses had a particularly good reputation, as did the
Konica Hexar lens, Bronica lenses, and Zeiss zoom lenses.  I own the Hexar
and agree completely.  But as a technical neophyte, I'd like to know what it
is about the others' designs that sets them apart, and why.

<<  It's a "gentle" lens but a nice one, and it doesn't suffer from some of
the
 typical flaws of fast Planar-types generally. >>

What are those typical flaws?  And how did Oly's designers avoid them?
(presume explanation is forthcoming.)  Perhaps there needs to be a "25 Best
Lenses" article to accompany the annual best camera roundup.  And, not being
a professional who can write off equipment costs, I'd prefer to learn about
bargain lenses (like the 50 f/1.8) costing $200 or less.