RE: [OM] Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested

Subject: RE: [OM] Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 18:31:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Stuart Phillips wrote:

> I agree with a lot of Doris' message, but you need to also factor in that
> at around the time that some of these photographers were working, Leicas
> were the nice small convenient camera to produce images with justa s some
> painters use acylics just because they're easier, more convenient and in
> that sense more pleasing to work with.

 True, yet  Leicas remain over-represented with many top photographers
today, and it can no longer be said that they're easier or more
convenient. I do not want to get boxed-in as the Leica Defender here by
any means, but they do work well, and the rangefinder competition is
slim indeed. Now, if the Olympus spooks on here would just listen to me
and put out a reasonable quality RF product or two to compete with the
Hexar or the new Cosina, perhaps with a fixed 28/2.0 lens and
another one with an 85/1.8...perhaps interchangeable lenses ? Okay, this
is a dream...pinch me.
  I firmly believe that part of the success of the P&S's has been the
rangefinder viewing, and this has brought forth a generation (X'ers) for
whom rangefinder viewing is the norm, creating an increasing market (and
product price range) for this type of camera. Konica saw this early,
and its Hexar and the Contax G's remain the only options to Leitz, but
there are plenty of holes in that picket fence...Olympus has a long
tradition in this arena, and expertise in the consumer P&S market. I
believe they are the perfect company to push forth with a trend-setting
AF/RF camera that could go well beyond the "Titanium Jewelry" designs.

                                     *= Doris Fang =*