RE: [OM] OM4Ti - Memory Function

Subject: RE: [OM] OM4Ti - Memory Function
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 10:19:32 +0200
Hi,

> Oooooops, my mistake. It was only wishfull thinking.

It seems we both unintentionally caused some confusion [something wrong in
Amsterdam yesterday that caused us to not think correctly?!?] :)

I just re-read one of my own replies, and had to chuckle at yet another
great mistake I typed in it, and which much to my surprise wasn't pointed
out by anyone on the list (yet), so I'll be honest and do it myself. In said
reply I first wrote:

"Well, I use the memo function very often in spot mode (in which I'm certain
that the first exposure has the same exposure time as the subsequent ones
stored in memory, since the spot mode enforces these spot metered values,
instead of using the OTF metering), which works fine."

And then a bit further down in the same message I contradicted myself by
writing:

"To me this does make sense. In spot mode you do perform an OTF reading, BUT
only of the centre 20f the frame. You then actually override the camera's
CAM  measurements by enforcing the camera to use the value measured in spot
mode. Hence, if you use the memory function after having taken say 3 spot
readings you will have the averaged value of these three readings stored in
memory (as desired), AND you will still have the same values set for the
first picture you're taking, so if you use the memory function or not, the
CAM measurements will still be overridden by the spot measurements."

So, _almost_ correct, but of course in spot mode the light isn't actually
measured OTF, but off the mirror (otherwise you would get some interesting
overexposed 2% big dots on your pictures whenever you perform a spot reading
:) )...

I apologise for having caused the intitial confusion (and for this typo
(thinko?)), so now to get back to some of the new input on this topic:

> Memo is disabled when a T flash is connected and activated, and when the
> memo function is already active and you connect and activate a T flash,
the
> memo function is cancelled.

You specifically mention a "T flash", does this mean that the function does
work with the F280, or does that flash also cancel these readings?

> Olaf wrote:
>
> :Yes, but now it has me wondering what happens if you first take e.g. 2
> :spot readings, operate the memory lever, take 2 more spot readings and
> :then fire away. What will then be stored in memory, the first two spot

[...]

> If just tried it, before I make another mistake ;). If you
> haven't taken the first shot after pulling the memo level, you can still
> continue spot metering and it will still be averaged (that is, added to
the
> series of spot metered values already stored). When the first shot is
taken
> with the memorized LV the spot meter is inactive (has no effect on the
> stored LV). So there is some similarity to the OTF memo function.

O.k., this makes some sense. Down to an electronics level that probably
simply means that there's an external memo signal, which will then always
trigger storing the readings in memory as soon as an exposure is made. Fair
enough.

> Well this thread prooves that the memo function is more complex than most
> of us thought. I must admit that a few years ago I only had the OM-4 and
> didn't understand it either,

Well, it's not so much the "not understanding" it, but rather the "assuming
it to be working differently" (which, one can argue, comes down to the same
:) ).

> mainly because of the stupid pictogrammed 'manual' that accompanied it. At
> least that's been improved in the OM-4Ti manual.

Unfortunately I only have a German 4Ti manual, and my German is not half as
good as my Dutch/English/Spanish, so at the time when I read it I probably
misinterpreted it...

> understand how OM cameras operated, or maybe they were
> intended as a means of communication with our beloved Spacemen (OM-4Ti
> manual, page 116) when they finally land.

:)
A nice camera for Fox Mulder... I'll check what's on page 116...

O.k., well this thread proved to be very useful, as I didn't realise the
memory function works the way it does. Now I do, so I can take that into
account...

Cheers!
Olafo