Re: [OM] PT subscriptions

From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 18:20:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 1 Aug 1999 michaeljohnston@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

|I'm interested in getting a 35-70 zoom; I'm sure you all have covered
|this ground before and might not want to again, but, if anyone wouldn't
|mind taking the time, I'd love to hear of peoples' impressions,
|experiences, and favorites among the various options. Thanks!

Hi Mike,

My only experience with the 35-70 Zuiko zooms has been the f/3.6
model.  I once shot a flash portrait session for some Nigerian friends
of mine which involved delivering several 8x12-inch enlargements.  The
two lenses I employed were the Zuiko 90/2 Macro and the f/3.6.  I
found I couldn't tell from examining the blowups which lens was
responsible for which image---I knew which from actual experience, of
course.  True, it was only a 8x12 blowup; however, the 90/2 is a very
sharp lens, and I was quite impressed that the f/3.6 was able to keep
pace with it sharpness-wise over a 8x enlargement.  Other photogs
claim that this lens is still comparable to fixed lenses with 11x14
enlargements, although I cannot personally vouch for this.

The more recently developed 35-70/3.5-4.5 sports better overall
numbers for resolution in the corners than the f/3.6.  However,
for portraits, center resolution is generally more important.
Furthermore, I found that for general snapshooting, the corner
resolution of the f/3.6 was not objectionable in the least.

In the end, I surrendered the f/3.6 due to its only real weakness
according my needs---its lack of true zoom lens speed.  I am currently
employing a Vivitar Series I 35-85/2.8 varifocal zoom until I am ready
cash-wise to snare a Zuiko 35-80/2.8.

Others here can evangelize about the other 35-70 Zuiko zooms.
However, the f/3.6 was my favorite general purpose lens while I had
it.